OnFinality, a leading multi-chain infrastructure provider that recently announced RPC API support for Ethereum, adds three new features to its Enhanced API service to help web3 builders Build Smarter!
OnFinality is a blockchain infrastructure platform that saves web3 builders time and makes developers’ lives easier. We deliver scalable API endpoints for the biggest blockchain networks and empower developers to automatically test, deploy, scale and monitor your own blockchain nodes in minutes.
Today, we are proud to be adding not one, not two, but three new features on our Enhanced API service to help web3 builders Build Smarter!
In A Nutshell, We’ve Added:
- API Access Restrictions — a new security feature to help you securely manage access to your OnFinality API endpoints
- Detailed Error type breakdowns on your API Insights dashboard
- A new Integration tab to help you get connected quickly
Read on to see how you can use these features to Build Smarter!
1. ‘API Access Restrictions’ For Enhanced Security On Your API Endpoints
Many of our customers use our API keys to their paid OnFinality endpoints in their browser extensions, mobile apps, and even websites. We know how important security is for our customers, especially as these apps are often open source and can be easily decoded.
The newly added security feature will allow you to restrict your API App’s private endpoints to work only from ‘Allowed’ origins and/or IP addresses, preventing unauthorised consumption of your rate limits and inflation to your bill once your rate limits are used up.
How dApps, Wallets And Indexers Can Use ‘API Access Restrictions’
By adding ‘Allow’ listed origins and IP addresses, you can prevent others from using your paid API keys in their own websites or applications. For example, if you run a wallet, you could restrict your private endpoint to only work when accessed from inside your wallet. If you are running an indexer, you could restrict your private endpoint to only work from the IP address of your indexer.
How To Access The New API Security Feature
Go to API App > Settings and add an allowed origin or IP address
2. Detailed Error Breakdown In API And Network Insights
We previously released API Insights for you to spot issues on your apps and quickly implement rectifications for a bug-free user experience.
With the new update, you can now hover over a time in your API and Network insights “API Responses by Status” graph to see the error breakdown, allowing you to understand where the request is failing, such as
- ‘Service Error’ — An internal error with the OnFinality gateway
- ‘Node Error’ — When the node is unable to process the request
- ‘Client Error’ — An invalid request or client formatting error
- ‘Too Many Requests’ — Indicates that rate limits have been exceeded
- ‘Unknown Error’ — Indicates that something odd has happened. Contact us for help!
3. A New Integration Tab to Help you get Connected Quickly
With the newly added ‘Integration’ tab, you now have quick and easy access to
- Directly copy and paste an example cURL to test out your connection
- Links to relevant network documentation
- Shortcut to connect to your API directly via polkadot.js for Substrate networks
You can find the new ‘Integration’ tab located on your API Apps page, next to your API ‘Insights’ tab for whatever Apps you are running.
“OnFinality’s aim is to provide mission critical infrastructure to help web3 developers build the decentralised future, faster. The new suite of API features saves developers time and money by preventing unauthorised consumption of their rate limits while providing near instant access to their apps”
“Error breakdown on the API Insights dashboard will also be a great timesaver enabling developers to get to the root of errors and fix them quickly, rather than spending time looking for them.”
— Daniel Vulinovich, Product Manager at OnFinality
Follow along this video to create your API App and connect to your favourite network in minutes! 👇
Then check out this video on how you can use the new API features, to analyse and improve performance on your dApps! 👇
Log In to your OnFinality app to start using the new API features now.
Don’t have an account yet? Sign up here to get started with 500,000 daily responses absolutely free!
In Case You Missed it…
⛓️ NEW CHAINS!
You can access our rate limited public API service by connecting to them using Polkadot.js or via the endpoints listed below.
API Endpoints For Ethereum:
- HTTPS Ethereum: https://eth.api.onfinality.io/public
- Websocket Ethereum: wss://eth.api.onfinality.io/public-ws
API Endpoints For Phala Network:
- HTTPS Phala: https://phala.api.onfinality.io/public
- Websocket Phala: wss://phala.api.onfinality.io/public-ws
Other feature updates that you can start utilising to build more efficiently!
- You can now filter Network and API insights to any date, allowing you to view up to 3 consecutive days of detailed response times, and identify issues or improvements in network response at a given date.
- For Networks: You can now manage your “recommended” image version
Build Smarter with OnFinality. 😎
OnFinality is a blockchain infrastructure platform that saves web3 builders time and makes their lives easier. OnFinality delivers scalable API endpoints for the biggest blockchain networks and empowers developers to automatically test, deploy, scale and monitor their own blockchain nodes in minutes. To date, OnFinality has served over 287 billion RPC requests across 60 networks including Polkadot, Ethereum, Moonbeam, Astar, Avalanche and Cosmos, and is continuously expanding these mission-critical services so developers can build the decentralised future, faster!